CBT is a computer based test that can be taken at a PEARSONVUE test centre available in most countries around the world.
Candidate will be given a short tutorial on how to use the computer before starting the examination. The CBT comprises 120 MCQ multiple choice questions. All questions are scored as correct or incorrect and there is no partial credit. A small number of questions will not be scored as they are pre -test questions, these questions will not be indicated to candidates.
A proportion of questions will be critical and relate to patient and public safety. Critical questions must be passed.
The time limit for direct testing is four hours and this includes any breaks from testing, which are optional.
Part 2 is a nursing or midwifery objective structured clinical examination (OSCE)- a practical nursing or midwifery examination. The OSCE can only be sat after successfully passing the CBT and is only available in the UK at a designated test centre. The candidate booklet and details for part 2 of the OSCE are available from the test centre website.
On the day of CBT
Arrival procedures at the test centre
- Arrived at the test centre, 30 minutes before your booked examination time.
- You will be required to present a valid passport with picture for authentication purposes.
- You must provide your digital signature and have your photograph taken. The photograph and signature are sent to NMC UK.
- You must remove any large jewellery or other accessories before entering the testing room if asked to do so.
- You must place all electronic devices in your allocated locker.
- The TA will give you a short orientation and then will escort you to a computer terminal and you will complete a short tutorial. You must remain in your seat during examination, except when authorized to leave by the test centre staff. You may not change your computer terminal unless a TA directs you to do so.
Exam regulations for the CBT are also available on NMC UK website.
Results of the CBT
Once the exam is completed the result is then submitted and calculated. Test centre staff do not have access to the examination results.
Examination results will be emailed to candidates within 48 hrs after taking the examination. You can also obtain your results within 48 business hours by logging in to your Pearsonvue account.
Candidates will received a Pass or Fail result. Any further feedback on test results cannot be disclosed to candidates. This is to ensure that the integrity of the test is protected and any future attempts to sit the test are not aided.
How many times can I sit the CBT
You must receive authorisation ATT to take the test before you can book and pay for the exam.
First Attempt if failed candidate will have to wait 28 days before the Second Attempt.
Second Attempt Failed candidate will have to wait for 6 months before the Third Attempt.